Not your ordinary dye job

I know what you are thinking but you would be wrong.  No I’m not talking about hair but these:

ordinary egg

So now that we have that settled lets see if we can kick your ordinary Easter Eggs up a notch {or two}.  And end up with these:

cute easter eggs

Take your handy dandy glue gun {that’s right I said glue gun} and draw on the egg with glue.

glue gun design

Then dunk the egg into your dye mixture.  Let it sit in there for as long as you want until you get the color you want.  When you pull it out it will look like this:

dyed easter egg

Peel the glue off the egg and here is your final result:

final easter egg

Fast, fun and easy.  The perfect trifecta.  {Yep I just said trifecta.  Whatcha gonna do about it?} Here are some variations you can make:

If you take your egg from the dye and let it drip dry and don’t peel the glue right away, the dye will get under the glue and you will get more of a grungy look.

grunge easter egg

You can make a bunch of little shapes:

star easter egg

Or a big shape:

heart easter egg

You can take an egg you have already done and put it back into a different color dye:

double dipped easter egg

Make a spotted “animal” egg:

animal easter egg

Make an initial egg:

initial egg

How about Chevrons?

chevron easter egg

So definitely not your typical Easter Eggs.  Some tips to remember:

• You must use cold eggs.  If you use warm or just off the burner eggs it won’t work.  The hot glue and hot egg attract each other too much and bond.  Then when you go to peal the glue off it sticks and peels the shell with it.  {Science according to Connie.  But seriously use cold eggs}

Jessica @ My world-Made by hand has a great post with recipes for Easter egg dye.  Go check it out here.

Peel glue quickly for crisp design, let it drip dry and peel later for grungy look.

cute easter eggs

And that’s it.  Hope you enjoy and let me know if you make any of these.  I’d love to see what you come up with.

I’m linking to these amazing blogs!!

Photobucket

Comments

1. Hi Connie, what a cool idea for a new and inventive Easter eggs! Thanks for the tip.

2. Bec@littlelucylu says:

Very cool! We've got an egg dyeing party coming up, and this is definitely on my list of techniques to try!
    I'm a new follower :-)
    I'd love you to visit my blog, too!
    ~Bec @ littlelucylu

3. Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING says:

We are hosting an "EGG DISH" recipe linky party called THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS and would love for you to bring over this GREAT recipe! (or new ideas with coloring Easter eggs) They look great!

4. That is a great idea, thanks for sharing!

5. jaimelyn says:

I am so glad you came to my blog so that I could discover yours! I am your new follower and admirer I love how many great ideas you can get from the blogging world!
    Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy.

6. LrSchwtz says:

What a great idea! I'd love for you to share this at my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party at http://www.laughloveandcraft.com. I'm a new follower from TipJunkie!

7. magalimadeleine says:

Really great! I wanted to try to decorate my own eggs this year and had no idea what to do. Your post is a real inspiration.
    Magali, from the Little White House

8. Now that's a nifty idea, I must say. Dontcha just love hot glue?? Ahh, the possibilities are endless! : )

9. Our Seven Dwarfs says:

Connie,
    I'm so glad you visited our blog. Thank you. Your blog is wonderful and you have certainly shared a great idea here. I will definitely try decorating and dyeing Easter Eggs with my hot glue gun's assistance. Who'd of thought?
    Thanks again,
    Shannon

10. Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun says:

I featured this on my blog today!

11. Michelle@Somedaycrafts says:

I love this idea! So fun! I featured it today at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

12. Marianne says:

Oh, I'm loving this. We're going to color eggs this week and i will need to give this one a try. I just love my glue gun!
    Marianne :)

13. Amy (naptimecrafters) says:

Who knew? Great idea! I'm featuring you tomorrow as a Friday Fav at naptimecrafters.blogspot.com

14. Jessica Stoker says:

I love this idea, so crafty. We featured you on:
    acoupleofcraftaddicts.blogspot.com

Thanks for the great idea.

Jessica Stoker

15. What a clever idea!
    I would love if you would post and share it with my readers! Join the Community and share any creative project!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative
    Susan @ Oh My! Creative recently posted..St. Patrick’s Day Drink IdeasMy Profile

16. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop, you have a wonderful blog! I hope you stop by and say hello, I’m having a giveaway right now!

Look forward to reading more.
    -Melanie @ meandmr.com

Trackbacks

1. Easter ideas says:

[…] Not your ordinary dye job […]

2. […] Easter?  Crafting up some home decor is one of our Easter traditions.  As well as making glue gun Easter Eggs.  I found these cute Easter coloring pages, I am going to print some out and add them to my Easter […]

3. […] Can you believe Easter is almost here?  It crept up on me for sure. Since today is Friday, I wanted to do a flashback to my favorite egg posts for Easter.   First up, a different way to dye Easter Eggs. […]